Monday, September 20, 2010

Redefining the Relationship

I hate being pragmatic about things, especially when it comes to a relationship. Romance, sweet nothings and idealistic thoughts are part of that and looking into relationships like it's something to be detached from makes it all so calculated and cold.

When do relationships become so much work? When you feel like you are opening yourself up too much to a person? When you feel like you are getting too dependent on the person? Is it because you can't deal with compromise, or the fact that the other person is getting to you and breaching your comfort zone?

So comes the query on pragmatic romantics. Is there even such a thing? So how does that go?

Someone once told me that "a worked relationship is an artificial relationship" and I always questioned that. I don't know about you, but I do know that compromise doesn't mean sacrifice. How can you call yourself in a relationship when you always want it on your terms? You feel that it's not comfortable to you anymore because you can't take it. Maybe, it's because you resist adapting to it. Or you fear being open about your feelings, and thus doing so were unable to communicate what you wanted...

I wonder how loving too much has become such a fear to a lot of people. Which is harder, being in love, or being the one who loves? Is it a suffering to be in either position? Is a person in a relationship "A person that suffers and sacrifices long enough and had enough of it"? --- I always wonder how one can call himself/herself in love when one cannot even think of being happy with a person for a long time.

I mean, it's like limiting yourself to something that could even be more wonderful than you imagine. Being pragmatic makes you question why the hell you even are in one, and makes you ask yourself a lot of times "Am I happy?"; Even if you are, you get to the point of asking, "how long will this last? When will this end?", instead of just enjoying it and learning to accept and appreciate the person for who he/she is. If one really believes that working out relationships is bad (or being in one, because it's "a great sacrifice"), then why the hell are we having relationships anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment